Cover image: “Jehovah Creates the Earth” by Walter Rane.
Presenter/Narrator, with actions in parentheses:
- Most of us have three names—a first name, a middle or maiden name, and a last name. (If you want to talk about what your name means or how you got your name, it will personalize this presentation. You could also tell your children how each of them received their names and why.)
- If you count the capitalized names for Jesus in the scriptures, you will see that He has over one hundred names. Seventy-two of these are found in the Book of Mormon. Each of them describes something He is or something He does for us.
- One of my favorites of His names is “Light of the World.” On the first day of creation, Jesus, who created the earth under the direction of the Father said, “Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, and it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness” (Genesis 1:3).
- Each of us can bring light into the world by learning about Jesus and telling others about Him.
- As you strive to follow the example of Jesus Christ and bring His light to the world, there may be those who would try to dim your light or completely cover your light.
- Jesus said that we should not let this happen: “Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 5:15-16).
- (Illustrate by lighting a candle, turning on a battery-powered candle or flashlight, or using the flashlight on your cellphone. Cover the light and discuss what it means to hide your light under a bushel and to let your light shine as with talents and testimony.)
- (Show a list of Jesus’ names or have the group make a list. Ask each person to choose one of His names that is especially meaningful to them and prepare to explain why. For example: I like to think of Jesus as my Savior because He saves me from my sins if I repent.)
The 72 Names of Jesus Christ Found in the Book of Mormon (Numbers in parenthesis indicate how many times that name is found.)
Almighty (2); Almighty God (3); Alpha and Omega (1); Being (5); Beloved (2); Beloved Son (3); Christ (308); Christ Jesus (1); Christ the Son (1); Christ the Son of God (3); Christ the Son of the Living God (3); Counselor (1); Creator (9); Eternal God (7); Eternal Head (1); Eternal Judge (1); Everlasting Father (1); Father (14); God (1,676); God of Abraham (5); the God of Abraham, [and] the God of Isaac, [and] the God of Jacob (5); God of Israel (11); God of Jacob (6); Holy Child (1); Holy God (2); Holy Messiah (2); Holy One (8); Holy One of Jacob (2); Immanuel (2); Jehovah (2); Jesus (117); Jesus Christ (35); Jesus Christ the Son of God (11); King (3); Lamb (35); Lamb of God (35); Lord (1,565); Lord God (104); Lord God Almighty (4); Lord God; Omnipotent (2); Lord God of Hosts (5); Lord Jehovah (1); Lord Jesus (1); Lord Jesus; Christ (14); Lord of Hosts (52); Lord of the Vineyard (33, all in Jacob 5); Lord Omnipotent (4); Lord their God (65); Maker (4); Man (1); Mediator (2); Messiah (32); Mighty God (2); Mighty One of Israel (1); Mighty One of Jacob (2); Most High (1); Most High God (4); Only Begotten of the Father (4); Only Begotten Son (5) Prince of Peace (1); Redeemer (40); Redeemer of Israel (1); Savior (10); Savior Jesus Christ (2); Son (43); Son of God (51); Son of Righteousness (3); Son of the Eternal Father (2); Supreme Being (1); Supreme Creator (1); Well Beloved (1); Wonderful (1).
- (Hand out a battery-powered candle or flashlight to each person. Those who have cellphones can use their cellphone flashlight. Take a minute to let each person practice turning off and on whatever device he or she is using.)
- I am going to turn off the lights. As I say your name, please turn on your light, say the name for Jesus you are thinking of, and tell us why that name is important to you. Leave your light on.
- (After each person who wants to participate has given his or her name for Jesus, thank them for sharing. Discuss how every light lights the world and how every light is needed.)
- “Jesus is the Light of the World. I will not hide my light under a bushel.”
- Show President Nelson’s Christmas message: