To read more from Larry, visit LDS 365.

Children with divorced parents often attend Church meetings in both parents’ wards or branches. While only one unit may keep and update a child’s official membership record, an out-of-unit member record may be created in the secondary ward or branch he or she attends. This record allows the child’s name and contact information to appear on unit lists and class rolls.

Children with an out-of-unit member record may also receive a calling. This can be helpful in ensuring these children are included and can fully participate wherever they attend.

To create an out-of-unit member record in Leader and Clerk Resources, clerks should click on the Manage Out-of-Unit Members link under the Membership tab. Out-of-unit member records are not included in unit statistics or the Quarterly Report.

The Church strongly encourages bishoprics or branch presidencies and clerks to be aware of those children who attend meetings or activities in their ward or branch and ensure that an out-of-unit member record is created for those whose primary membership record is in another unit.

From a notice to ward and stake leaders, “Membership Records for Children of Divorced Parents,” dated September 1, 2020.