The events of this last weekend in response to the killing of George Floyd have shaken an already shaken country. Unfortunately, the feelings of insecurity and division are only made worse by the coverage, both in the mainstream media and on social media. So much focus remains on the rioting and the violence, that very little attention has been given to the peaceful protests and moments of inspiring unity that also occurred this weekend.
Here are just a few examples:
1. Dancing in the Streets of Newark
Put this on the news. pic.twitter.com/YfXB2x6bcz— Frosty (@FrostyTheSkid) May 30, 2020
2. Police Take a Knee to Join Protestors in Santa Cruz
3. 9 Minutes of Silence Outside of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.
4. Protestors Form a Human Shield Around Officer Separated from His Unit.
As people became increasingly hostile in Louisville in a series of events protesting the killing of Breonna Taylor, an unarmed woman who was killed by officers in her home in March, a few protestors linked arms to protect an officer in danger (via Courier Journal, Louisville).
5. Protestor and Officer Hug in Louisville
She just went in for the hug, and the officer accepted. Lasted almost a minute. Incredible pic.twitter.com/rJjvN0yhXz— Roberto Ferdman (@robferdman) June 1, 2020
In addition to this moment of connection, Black Lives Matter hosted a healing ceremony in Louisville where locals handed out sunscreen, water, and masks for attendees.