You may have stocked up on food storage with the onslaught of this pandemic, working to be prepared for quarantine. But if you are like us, you now have a food storage of freeze-dried food but not a lot of experience cooking with freeze-dried ingredients. We want to enable you to use the food that you have to make meals that you already love, including soups, smoothies, desserts, entrees, breads and so much more.
Here’s a classic southwestern recipe that helps you try a lot of different ingredients in your food storage. We hope you can see just how fun it is to cook with freeze-dried food!
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Serving Size: 8
Top of Form
- 1/3 c. THRIVE Chopped Onions – Freeze Dried
- 1/4 c. THRIVE Celery – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Red Bell Peppers – Freeze Dried
- 1/3 c. THRIVE Green Bell Peppers – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Green Chili Peppers – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Tomato Dices – Freeze Dried
- 3/4 c. THRIVE Seasoned Chicken Slices – Freeze Dried
- 1 1/2 tbsp. THRIVE Chicken Bouillon
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp. Iodized Salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. THRIVE Peppercorn
- 1/2 gal. water
- 3 tbsp. THRIVE Cilantro
- 1/2 lb. yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1/2
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
Bottom of Form
- Place all ingredients except lime juice, cilantro, and tortillas in a 6-quart saucepan and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tortillas and cook for another 5 minutes at a low simmer.
- Add lime juice and cilantro; taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Top with tortilla strips, sour cream, salsa, or bacon. Add diced avocado for extra flavor!
To shop for the best freeze-dried food storage for your family, click here.