Do you get a kick out of those long-winded infomercials touting knives, toys, exercise equipment and gimmicks? If you need a good laugh, just google “crazy infomercials” at YouTube! I’ve got a link at the bottom for one that’s had me laughing out loud.
All joking aside — if someone asked me to choose a product for a crazy infomercial, it would definitely be for good old apple cider vinegar.
Vinegar is as old as civilization itself. Traces of it have been found in Egyptian urns from around 3000 B.C. and Babylonian scrolls record the use of vinegar to around 5000 B.C. The Bible notes, as we tenderly know, that Roman soldiers offered vinegar to Christ at the Crucifixion.
In ancient and Medieval times, as now, it was a general all-purpose aid used for flavoring of foods and healing. Military armies in battle used diluted vinegar as an energy drink and to clean and disinfect wounds. Do you wonder how a plain old knight became a knight in shining armor? He mixed vinegar with sand to clean and polish his chainmail, sword and shield! During the Bubonic plague, legend has it that one group of four convicted thieves managed to survive by drinking large amounts of vinegar infused garlic.
It sounds like this infomercial has been going on for a long, long time! It continues at Amazon and at our own libraries with irresistibly compelling titles like “The Miracle Health System,” “The Apple Cider Vinegar Bible” and “101 Amazing Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar.”
The truth, is, however, it’s not an infomercial or something to laugh about. Past and present, it’s a viable health and cleaning aid that makes a real difference when we’re wise enough to employ its benefits. From the Amish throughout the country to all-natural health practitioners, vinegar is highly recommended and worth its weight in gold. In fact, it may well be considered a true gift from our Heavenly Father for health, wellness, cleanliness and beauty.
“Apple cider vinegar is a completely natural product, resulting from the fermentation of apple juice to hard apple cider followed by a second fermentation to apple cider vinegar. This natural product retains all the nutritional goodness of the apples from which it was made plus it is fortified with the extra acids and enzymes produced during the two fermentation steps. It’s the sum of all these ingredients that give apple cider vinegar its amazing health benefits,” says Wayne Cascarano, an organic chemist from Montreal. His website, apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com is a fascinating place to get started on a great education about vinegar.
Quite honestly, there’s enough fascinating and documented information for a college course. So for today’s article I’ve chosen two benefits that most of us need right now: 1) healthy, pretty feet and 2) help for scummy bathtubs and showers.
1. Healthy, Pretty Feet: Vinegar Foot Soak and Detox
With summer and sandal weather nearly here, many of us are embarrassed about how our feet look. Many of us also struggle with painful cracks and skin challenges on our soles, toes and heels. Vinegar to the rescue! Who knows, maybe those ancient soldiers used it for their feet too!
Before we start, remember this: OUR FEET NEED AIR! Our toenails and the skin on our feet need to BREATHE. Wearing socks all the time does not allow air to flow and creates a moist, warm environment where fungus and weird stuff can really grow. That’s a new one for me, but it makes PERFECT sense!
ALSO: If your feet and toe nails are struggling, it will never be a bad idea to take a cotton ball soaked in My Miracle Detox concentrate and to gently wipe the nails 2-3 times a day. . (This is the popular Meridian Detox product that is so helpful for internal stomach and digestion.
(This is applicable to burns, wounds, scratches and rashes as well.)
Our feet are regularly exposed to bacteria, fungi, etc. (This is where stinky feet and rashes like Athletes Foot come from.) These conditions often lead to other problems that are listed below. Then there’s cracked skin, callouses and more. Good news: Vinegar is rich in acids and anti-fungal compounds. Soaking your feet in vinegar helps regulate the pH of your skin and naturally address the following conditions.
Why would you want to soak your feet in vinegar??? How about:
1. FOOT ODOR: Because vinegar is antimicrobial, soaking the feet in a vinegar bath for 10-20 minutes regularly helps to kill the bacteria or fungi that leads to the odor. You’ll want to clean before and after your vinegar soak with regular soap — first so the vinegar bath is solely for attacking the bacteria and after to remove the vinegar odor.
2. ATHLETE’S FOOT: Is an infectious skin disease caused by certain fungi. You can pick it up at the gym or swimming pool. Soaking feet in vinegar helps ward off fungal infections!
3. FOOT WARTS: Warts are caused by a viral infection. Once again, since vinegar has antimicrobial properties, it can help protect against these viruses!
4. ITCHY FEET: A pH imbalance can cause dry skin or an overgrowth of foot fungus. Both of these conditions can make your feet very itchy. Isn’t it awful when they start itching??? Especially in the middle of the night. Sometimes badly itching feet have actually woken us up from a deep sleep!
5. CORNS & CALLOUSES: The acetic acid in vinegar acts as an exfoliant and emollient, which is ideal for removing dead skin and softening hard spots.
HOW TO DO A VINEGAR FOOT SOAK:
Start with clean feet using regular soap and a brush. Next: It’s best, if possible, to use Bragg’s Vinegar that has the “mother” floating around in it. But if you don’t have that, good old apple cider or white vinegar will more than do the trick.
- Fill a large bucket or basin (as mentioned above, we found some glass baking dishes that were perfect!) with 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of warm water.
- Continue adding 1 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of water until the basin is full.
- Soak your feet for 10-20 minutes.
- Rinse your feet using regular soap and water to remove the vinegar odor.
- Now it’s time enjoy your pretty, healthy feet!
- You may also be interested in an herbal foot peel. I recently used one from Amazon that was very effective. Within several days, old layers of dead, dry skin had peeled off, leaving lovely new skin underneath. Just do a search for “herbal foot peel.” Mine was about $18 and included enough product to do it twice.
The next thing most of us need help with at one time or another is getting a bathtub and shower looking like new.
2. Best-Ever Tub and Tile Scum Remover
How do our tubs and showers get so grimy? It’s a combination of residue minerals in the water and soap scum from bar soap. Ineffective or the wrong cleaning agents that you’ve used in hope of removal also contribute their own layer of icky stuff.
I speak from personal experience! I just couldn’t get rid of it. After trying lots of things from the store that really didn’t do much, I was delighted to discover this on YouTube! I needed to do it a couple of times, but once it was all scrubbed down, it was as sparkling and fresh as a new tub/shower. We kept a small spray bottle and window squeegee in the shower after that, and it was never a problem again!
In a large glass measuring cup mix
3/4 to 1 Cup Blue Dawn dishwashing detergent
1 Cup white vinegar
Heat for 1 minute in the microwave.
Put this in a spray bottle and haste to the dirty tub/shower. Spray generously and leave it for several hours. Open the windows if possible! Come back to a blue-goo tub, but it’ll all just WIPE DOWN (with a squeegee and/or scrubby sponge) and rinse into the drain of the tub. Woot!!!!
There are a bunch of Youtube videos on this, but this technique and gal are what worked for us.
Tip: You might want to wear your face mask and keep the windows open. The odor is WORTH IT to get that scum gone!
I did do it twice to get it as shiny smooth as I wanted. Once again, after that first mega clean, we keep a small spray bottle of the vinegar mix and window squeegee in the shower after that, and it has never been a problem again! What’s not to love?!?
YOUTUBE: CLEAN YOUR BATHTUB SCUM
In my next article I’ll talk about what it can do for our internal health. How we can thank our Heavenly Father for the help we need to look and feel our best!
YOUTUBE FUN: 10 ridiculous infomercial products for a great laugh!
Carolyn Allen is the Author of 60 Seconds to Weight Loss Success, One Minute Inspirations to Change Your Thinking, Your Weight and Your Life. She has been a columnist for Meridian Magazine since 2007. She provided mental and spiritual approaches for weight loss success and happy living both online and in the Washington, DC community since 1999 through Weight Watchers, First Class, Fairfax County Adult Education and other community groups. She and her husband, Bob, are the parents of five children and grandparents of a growing number of darling little ones. They are now happy empty nesters in Sandy, Utah where they center their online business for an amazing herbal detox.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE