Sign up for Meridian’s Free Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
Cover image via LDS.org.
The Church provides many resources that can enhance gospel learning and help provide answers to doctrinal, historical, and social questions. Since many people are not aware of these resources, I’ve compiled the list below. I’ve also included reliable resources created by BYU and others that may be helpful.
Gospel Study Resources
- BYU Speeches: Searchable collection of speeches delivered at Brigham Young University by Church leaders and others.
- BYU Studies Quarterly: Scholarly journal devoted to Latter-day Saint studies relating to scripture, Church history, and theology.
- General Conference Talks (conference.lds.org): Conference talks on LDS.org from 1971 to the present. For conference talks before 1971, see Corpus of LDS General Conference Talks, a BYU database back to 1851.
- Gospel Topics (topics.lds.org): Brief explanations by the Church on hundreds of topics related to the doctrine and history of the Church. Also includes 11 longer essays on selected Church history events and doctrines.
- LDS Scripture Citation Index: Complete index of all scripture passages used in general conference talks. Maintained by BYU.
- LDS Scriptures (scriptures.lds.org): Official LDS edition of the scriptures and study aids.
- Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship: BYU collection of scholarly research designed to deepen understanding of religious texts and traditions.
- Religious Studies Center: Published research from BYU focusing on Church doctrine and history that encourages faithful gospel scholarship.
Resources for Answering Doctrinal, Historical, and Social Questions
- Book of Mormon Central: Information that was compiled to explain, engage, inspire, and encourage greater knowledge and appreciation of every aspect of the Book of Mormon. Not affiliated with the Church.
- Church History Essays: Essays from the Church that explain selected Church history events and doctrines. Included in the larger collection of Gospel Topics.
- Church History Library: Online access to a variety of Church materials and collections such as journals, old photos, and databases.
- Church History Resources (history.lds.org): Links to various Church history resources.
- Encyclopedia of Mormonism (eom.byu.edu): Online access to the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, maintained by BYU.
- FairMormon: Well-reasoned and faithful responses to doctrinal, historical, and social questions. Not affiliated with the Church.
- Interpreter Foundation: Nonprofit, independent, educational organization that focuses on LDS scriptures. They publish a peer-reviewed journal, Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture.
- Joseph Smith Papers: Manuscripts and documents associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith. Prepared by the Church.
- Joseph Smith’s Polygamy: Information about Joseph Smith’s plural marriage practices and teachings. Not affiliated with the Church.
- Mental Health (MentalHealth.lds.org). Church website with resources about depression, sadness, eating disorders, sexual abuse, schizophrenia, and suicide. Includes in-depth video interviews with members who struggle with these issues.
- Mormon and Gay (MormonandGay.lds.org): Church website about same-sex attraction in the context of the Gospel.
- Mormon Newsroom Topics and Background: Latest statements from the Church on doctrines, beliefs, and policies.
- Mormon Scholars Testify: Messages of faith from LDS scholars. Not affiliated with the Church.
- Mormon.org: Church’s website with information about the Church (its people, values, and beliefs) for those who are not members of the Church.
- Preventing Suicide (PreventingSuicide.lds.org): Church website with information and resources for those who struggle with thoughts of suicide, those who know someone who does, and those who have lost a loved one to suicide.
- Religious Freedom: Church website with information about religious freedom and what you can do to protect it.
- Revelations in Context: Church website that provides historical context and insights for the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants.
- Studies in Mormon History: BYU citation information for numerous articles, books, theses, and dissertations on LDS history and culture. Includes some abstracts and links to full text.