Have we ever had a greater witness that we are guided by a living Prophet than the past two weeks? The current COVID-19 health situation has put so much of our daily lives under a microscope and what do we as Latter-day Saints find? That our Prophet has prepared us and that our Heavenly Father is in charge!
Among some very funny memes and jokes (including that the General Authorities will truly be preaching only to the choir for April General Conference….) came this true gem from a friend:
1. Isn’t it amazing that at this time of the COVID-19 pandemic, Heavenly Father has called a world-renowned medical doctor to be a prophet?
2. Isn’t is amazing that if we are asked to stay at home, we don’t have to freak out? The prophets have been telling us for many years to have food storage prepared for emergencies.
3. Isn’t it amazing that as Church meetings are cancelled, our Prophet has been having us learn how to study and have Church at home?
4. Isn’t it amazing that Heavenly Father puts his prophets on the earth to help people know what to do and prepares us in very specific ways?
5. Isn’t it amazing that our Prophet told us six months ago to prepare for a General Conference that would be unforgettable and unlike any other?
What our prophets tell us is from God! All we have to do is LISTEN and FOLLOW and we will be fine.
To me, the current state of the world in light of COVID-19 is where the rubber meets the road for Latter-day Saints. We now have a personal opportunity to find out on a very real basis how closely we have been following the prophet and how well we are actually prepared. We can easily ask ourselves the following questions:
1. Am I prepared to live for a couple of weeks without going to the store… for anything?
2. Am I prepared to have rich Church meetings and gospel learning experiences at home?
3. Have I strengthened family relationships? Do I get along well enough to come out on top and stronger as a family if we were not to have anyone else’s company for a couple of weeks?
4. Would my family and I really eat what’s in our food storage?
5. Am I actively developing the personal revelation skills that our Prophet has begged us to acquire to know our Heavenly Father’s personal plans for me?
Now’s a good time to find out and without a doubt we’re all learning a lot about our own level of preparation.
The next question I think we’re all asking ourselves — or at least should be is:
6) Have I done all I personally can to physically strengthen my body and immune system for any health crisis?
Once again, Heavenly Father has not left us in the dark! He has spoken to a prophet to tell us what to do for physical health and strength! That’s what the Word of Wisdom (D&C Section 89) is all about!
As always, the absolute best source for better understanding both the principles and the practice of the Word of Wisdom is Meridian Author Jane Birch. Her website
www.DiscoveringTheWordofWisdom.com and her book by the same title are well worth your time and attention.
If we are of a mind to, we can let this unique period of the COVID-19 pandemic be a launching point for a future of much greater personal health and strength. This greater strength will be a blessing not only personally, but it can also be an example to our families and communities.
You can get started today with one of our favorite recipes that you probably have all the ingredients for in your food storage! This gem is a personal favorite at our house and, if anything, more delicious than it is nutritious!
Its unique history is that in Medieval times it was served in monasteries and abbeys to monks and nuns who led quiet lives of solitude and service. It’s meant to be an “austere” meal. However, it’s so delicious that you’ll marvel at its rich flavor.
It’s body-building nutrients come from wholesome legumes that should be on everyone’s food storage shelf, canned tomatoes and onions. Onions (and this recipe needs a lot) build immunity!
As a little FYI: Onions are packed with immune-boosting nutrients like selenium, sulfur compounds, zinc, and vitamin C. In addition, they are one of the best sources of quercetin, a potent flavonoid, and antioxidant that has antiviral properties as well as histamine regulating effects. So here’s a great soup recipe that’s a delicious, filling meal!
Lentil Soup Monasticus
(“Monasticus” is the Latin word for a monastery or abbey, so it is also called Monastery Lentil Soup)
Please note: Yes … you DO need all 4 onions!
1 cup dry lentils
4 large onions chopped
1 carrot, finely diced
1/4 c olive oil
1/8 tsp. thyme
5 cups water
1 16 oz. can tomato puree
2 t salt
1/3 cup FRESH parsley or cilantro (if possible be sure to use FRESH!)
1/8 t oregano
1/8 t marjoram
In a dutch oven, combine all ingredients except for the parsley and olive oil. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer gently until lentils and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
Add olive oil and parsley. Serve with crusty bread and fresh fruit.
So here’s to our health, here’s to delicious food storage suppers at home with our dear ones, and most of all – here’s to following our dear Prophet! He speaks directly with the Lord to prepare us for everything we need to be just fine now … and eternally.
Carolyn Allen is the Author of 60 Seconds To Weight Loss Success. She has been providing mental and spiritual approaches for weight loss success both online and in the Washington, D.C. community since 1999. She and her husband Bob are happy parents and grandparents, now living as empty-nesters in Jackson, Tennesssee where they center their online business for their amazing herbal detox. They love serving the Lord and attending in a tiny Tennessee branch of the Church where Carolyn is the Gospel Doctrine teacher. They have been sharing their amazing herbal detox with Meridian readers since 2008!