To read more from Larry, visit LDS365.
Every worthy, baptized member of the Church is entitled to and should receive a patriarchal blessing, which provides inspired direction from the Lord. Patriarchal blessings include a declaration of a person’s lineage in the house of Israel and contain personal counsel from the Lord.
Prepare to Receive a Patriarchal Blessing
- Strive for personal worthiness.
- There are no age limits. You are ready when you feel spiritually comfortable to receive the blessing.
- Parents can help their children understand the purposes of patriarchal blessings. (See resources below.)
Use Your Patriarchal Blessing
- A patriarchal blessing is spiritual encouragement to strive for the important objectives of life.
- Read your patriarchal blessing often. As you study your patriarchal blessing and follow the counsel it contains, it will provide guidance, comfort, and protection.
- Remember that patriarchal blessings are sacred. The Church requests that blessings not be distributed or shared with those outside of your immediate family, including through electronic means such as in the memories section of FamilySearch, or on social media, websites, or blogs.
- “Patriarchal Blessings” in Gospel Topics
- “Patriarchal Blessings” in General Handbook, 18.17
- “6 Ways to Help Your Kids Prepare for Their Patriarchal Blessing Now” from LDS Living
- President M. Russell Ballard shares counsel on preparing for—and then utilizing—patriarchal blessings
- Request a copy of your patriarchal blessing
- Request a copy of blessings of your ancestors
- Top 5 Questions about Patriarchal Blessings