From Scot Facer Proctor, Publisher of Meridian: Many years ago we ran a home storage recipe each week for a year. This column became one of our most popular and most read. Just about every Latter-day Saint has some food storage, so why not stimulate your thinking with some wonderful and proven recipes from Thrive Life’s famous Chef Todd Leonard? You can use your own home storage ingredients in the same quantities OR we have provided easy links to the products from Thrive. And here’s a fun hint: If you set up a monthly auto-ship and it’s at least $99 after discounts, you’ll receive 15% off and free shipping! That’s what we do here at the Proctor home. We started this modest approach some years ago and we have tons of food storage now, all of which has a twenty-five year shelf life! I have to say: That really gives us a lot of peace of mind.
We have tried many of these recipes and they are delicious! And they’re available anytime with no need to refrigerate and they’ll be as fresh as can be!
Enjoy these recipes each Wednesday!
By Thrive Life
5m prep time
20m cook time
Top this zesty soup with sour cream, tomatoes, bacon, and avocado for the complete taco experience! -by Chef Todd
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 c. THRIVE Ground Beef (Hamburger) – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Chopped Onions – Freeze Dried
- 1 1/2 c. Instant Pinto Beans
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Sweet Corn – Freeze Dried
- 1 c. THRIVE Tomato Dices – Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Green Chili Peppers – Freeze Dried
- 2 tsp. THRIVE Chefs Choice
- 1/4 c. THRIVE Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro
- 1 tsp. THRIVE Beef Bouillon
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Iodized Salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 8 c. water
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Cholula hot sauce
- Sauté butter and garlic together in a large saucepan until lightly caramelized.
- Add all remaining ingredients except lime juice, fresh cilantro, and hot sauce.
- Bring soup up to a medium simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Finish with lime juice, fresh cilantro, and hot sauce. Stir in while simmering, then allow to rest off the heat before serving.
- ————————————— (This is the symbol for resting off the heat!)
- Yield: 9 cups