This cake is good for SO many things: all the way from a simply elegant lemon pound cake with a lemon glaze, to a gorgeous Berry Lemon Trifle, and everything in between. -by Cindy Suelzle
- 1 1/2 c. White Flour (All Purpose Unbleached Flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Butter Powder
- 3/4 c. Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp. Classic Lemonade (Seasonal)
- 1/4 tsp. Iodized Salt
- 4 tbsp. THRIVE Scrambled Egg Mix
- 1/4 c. THRIVE Instant Milk
- 1 3/4 c. Water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. If you are making up a jar with the “cake mix” in a quart jar, go ahead and layer them in. Just make sure everything is well blended when you start to make the cake.
- Form a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in 1 1/2 cups of water. Stir in just till everything is moistened. Pour into a greased 9×9 pan or loaf pan and place in the center of the oven.
- If using a 9×9 pan, expect about 40 minutes for baking. If using a loaf pan, expect closer to an hour. Start lightly tapping center 10 minutes early to check for doneness.
- Options for Variations
- I usually use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat flour – easy to insert a little extra nutrition
- Glaze for Lemon Pound Cake: mix 1 teaspoon THRIVE Classic Lemonade powder + 1/4 cup icing sugar + 2 or 3 Tablespoons of milk or water. Pour over cake right hot out of the oven, in the pan or out – as you prefer.
- Lemon Poppy Seed cake: add 2-3 Tablespoons poppy seeds. I like lots of poppy seeds. Personal taste
- Blueberry Lemon cake: add 1/2 – 1 cup Freeze Dried Blueberries to dry ingredients. All an additional 1-2 Tablespoons of water.
- Lime Pound Cake: replace lemonade with Limeade. Remember these are seasonal items only available in the summer so plan ahead and get lots.
- Berry Lemon Trifle: cube cake and layer in bottom of glass bowl. Sprinkle a light layer of THRIVE Blueberries and Blackberries over top. Layer prepared lemon pudding over top. Layer mixture of cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk over top. Layer whipped cream or fluffy dessert topping over top. Another two layers of cake, berries, pudding, cream cheese (as depth of bowl will allow). Top with whipped cream (or fluffy dessert topping) sprinkled with blueberries and hand-crumbled blackberries. Best if refrigerated for 2 hours or more before serving.