Sign up for Meridian’s Free Newsletter, please CLICK HERE
This statement was updated December 4, 2018. Cover image via LDS.org.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is growing across the earth. As this occurs, local Church leaders and members are encouraged to focus on gospel learning in their homes and to participate in Sabbath worship and the Church’s supporting programs for children, youth, individuals and families. The goal of every activity in the Church should be to increase faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and to share His gospel message throughout the world. Local celebrations of culture and history may be appropriate. Larger productions, such as pageants, are discouraged.
As it relates to existing pageants, conversations with local Church and community leaders took place in October 2018 to appropriately end, modify or continue these productions. Below are the decisions the Church has made from those discussions:
- The Nauvoo Pageant will continue with support from Church headquarters.
- The Mesa Pageant will continue under area leadership in 2021 following the renovation of the Mesa Temple.
- The British Pageant will continue every four years under area leadership. The next pageant will be in 2021.
- The Hill Cumorah Pageant will end in 2020.
- The Manti Pageant will end in 2019.
- The Castle Valley Pageant is discontinued.
- The Clarkston Pageant is discontinued.